Arobas Personnel is presently looking for a financial operations manager for a client located downtown Montreal.
General overview of the position and where it fits in the organization structure
Reporting to CFO, the successful candidate will be required to manage and oversee the day-to-day operational aspects of financial processes including end to end bank and account reconciliation process, Accounts Payable and Employee Comp/Benefits accounting. As Manager of the Finance Operations unit, the individual will also be responsible for oversight of reconciliations processes related to Bank Account Management and the periodic reconciliation of ledger accounts. Responsibilities will also include directing local and outsourced staff that supports the various tasks within the Finance Operations unit.
In addition to the daily recurring responsibilities, the initial tasks will be focused on acquiring knowledge and information to effectively create the team and processes needed to transition information and ownership of these responsibilities to the newly established unit. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be expected to support the Finance team in the implementation of a new accounting system relating to functions he is expected to oversee including the design and testing phases that will help establish an efficient modus operandi that will ensure processes are streamlined and effective.
The ideal candidate should have knowledge of the workings of a financial institution and an understanding of consumer lending. The individual needs to demonstrate a quick ability to establish new procedures, create and implement efficient monitoring and control measures while working with various departments, systems and products.
- Actively lead and sponsor the creation, implementation and streamlining of the Financial Operations work streams to ensure a high degree of efficiency and effectiveness. To ensure continuity in the company’s independent structure, this participation will be expected in the initial stages as the Company de-links and transitions duties from its previous owners.
- Steer and pro-actively participate in the development of processes, systems and tools including ERP and resources to effectively prepare the financial operations department for the transitioning of its responsibilities and activities.
- Ensure the proper management, control and direction is provided to the Bank Reconciliation team to perform their tasks accurately and reduce any variations and untimely resolutions.
- Supervise, implement and administer all controls, measures and processes related to the management of various expense work streams (accounts payable, payroll etc)
- Oversee, control and manage both onshore and offshore processes and resources related to account reconciliations, expense accounting and balance sheet substantiation to ensure a tight efficiency and accuracy in interactions with senior management.
- Support other functions within Finance for accurate financial reports, data and financial analysis and efficiency.
- Proactively work with various teams (IT, Procurement, HR, branches, services etc) to ensure alignment of work streams and deliverables.
- Proactively create and update policies, processes and procedures on how to efficiently and effectively manage the various responsibilities of the Finance Operations unit.
- Coordinate with various teams (IT, branches) and locations obtain the information and necessary expertise to transfer all responsibilities related to various work streams.
- Support the reporting team during external / internal audits and regulatory examinations where necessary.
- Actively contribute to the team to resolve issues and build subject matter expertise particularly when working with other functional areas (Risk, Retail Operations, Planning & Analysis, etc).
- Participate in and support ad hoc projects (ERP implementation, Accounts Payable, T&E, automated reconciliations etc.), as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- CA or other professional accounting designation is an asset
- Relevant work experience (at least 10 years) preferably in a financial institution involving finance and accounting with at least 1 direct report
- Previous experience in project management, system implementation, team set up and outsourcing would be strong assets
- Strong accounting fundamental knowledge and skills
- Competent and highly familiar with Excel, Pivot tables and other analytical tools. Knowledge of SQL/Access is an asset.
- Previous experience in using Oracle/Workday or other accounting software
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented with excellent problem solving, strong analytical and people management skills.
- Ability to network and communicate effectively across levels and departments while meeting strict timelines.